Tuesday, October 23, 2007

#14 Technorati

So what is Technorati? Technorati, in the most basic sense, is a website that keeps track of blogs. OK and what about this "Blogosphere" they keep mentioning? According to Wikipedia: "Blogosphere is a collective term encompassing all blogs and their interconnections. It is the perception that blogs exist together as a connected community (or as a collection of connected communities) or as a social network.".

Technorati tracks all the blogs that are "out there" on the Internet and indexes them by the number of links to the blogs themselves. Of course that is the most basic explanation of the indexing process. Technorati is similar in concept to Google and it's ranking and search facilities for websites, except Technorati is for blogs.

You can also create an account with Technoranti and "claim" your blog so that you can use the Technoranti tools like performance charts (statistics on your blog), pinging your blog (to update the Technoranti listing) and allows you to use Technorati services to increase your blogs visibility.

At the moment (23rd October 2007 at 4pm) my blog is ranked a measly 8,911,336th ... lets see if I can improve on that, probably not by much but I have to try!

I think I'll be addicted to Technoranti for a while, just to see where my blog is ranked, seeing the stats on my blog - who is visiting, when, where etc ...

1 comment:

Webgurl said...

Don't get caught up on the numbers and forget to blog. :-)

The stats via Feedburner are useful. It's interesting seeing what reader people are using.

I also have a stat counter on my blog so I can see where the referrals are coming from and the frequency and days of visits etc.

Cheers, webgurl

LibraryThing Library